OPEN 7 DAYS:  MAY 1ST - OCTOBER 15TH
(989) 738-7664

SEE OUR CABINS AND ROOMS

We have lots of room options and prices that will meet your vacation needs.

Rooms
About Whalens Grindstone Shores

3373 Pointe Aux Barques Road, Grindstone City, Michigan 48467

Cabins – Rooms – Gift Shop – RV Park (Seasonal Sites) – Cable TV – Air Conditioning – Free WIFI

Our History

Our Board and Staff

President – Wayne Morgan
Vice President – Steve Wellman
2nd Vice President – Jim Snell
Treasurer – Sandy Grahn
Secretary – Kathryn Hannan
Manager ~ Elizabeth Herd
Maintenance ~ Dan Herd

Our Cabins

Our Facility features Air Conditioning/Heat ~ Cable TV

Cabins Include Fully Furnished – All Bed, Bath and Kitchen Linens Full Size Beds, Sleeper Sofa (Cabins 3, 4, and 5) Roll Away Beds (Cabins 3, 4 and 5 – Additional Nightly Charge)   All Cabins have complete Kitchens, full size Refrigerator, Stove with Oven, Microwave, Coffee Pot with Coffee, Toaster, Dishes, Pots, Pans and Flatware, Charcoal BBQ Grill and Picnic Table (Cabins 1, 3, 4 and 5) Community Bonfire Pit, Complimentary Morning Coffee in Lobby Prices and pictures of rooms and upstairs common areas ALL CABINS AND ROOMS ARE NON-SMOKING  


Daily Rates
Set by Early, Prime and Late Season times

*Early Season ~ May 1st – June 14th*
Cabin #1 $100.00
Cabin #3   $90.00
Cabin #4 $125.00
Cabin #5 $125.00
————————————————————————————
*Prime Season ~ June 15th – Labor Day*
Friday & Saturday (2 night minimum)
Cabin #1 $125.00
Cabin #3 $115.00
Cabin #4 $165.00
Cabin #5 $165.00
Sunday – Thursday
Cabin #1 $110.00
Cabin #3 $100.00
Cabin #4 $150.00
Cabin #5 $150.00
————————————————————————————
*Late Season ~ Labor Day – October 15th*
Cabin #1 $100.00
Cabin #3   $90.00
Cabin #4 $125.00
 Cabin #5 $125.00


Rooms ~ Same Rate All Seasons
Room #1 $85.00
Room #2 $60.00
Room #3 $85.00

   

Our Facility features Air Conditioned/Heated ~ Cable TV Cabins Include Fully Furnished – All Bed, Bath and Kitchen Linens Full Size Beds, Sleeper Sofa (Cabins 3, 4, and 5) Roll Away Beds (Cabins 3, 4 and 5 – Additional Nightly Charge) All Cabins have complete Kitchens, full size Refrigerator, Stove with Oven, Microwave, Coffee Pot with Coffee, Toaster, Dishes, Pots, Pans and Flatware, Charcoal BBQ Grill and Picnic Table (Cabins 1, 3, 4 and 5) Community Bonfire Pit Complimentary Morning Coffee in Lobby of Lodge. ALL CABINS AND ROOMS ARE NON-SMOKING

All Rooms are located upstairs in the Lodge and share a common bath and a half. An additional half bath is located in the lobby downstairs. All bed and bath linens provided. There is a common area upstairs, with a full-size refrigerator and microwave, coffee in the lobby in the morning. All Rooms are non-smoking, include cable TV and air conditioning/heat – Sorry, NO PETS.

Room #1 and Room #3 2 Double beds, Roll-away bed available for additional $10 per night. Room #2 1 Queen bed. This room cannot accommodate a roll away bed.

Testimonials

Don’t take our word for it – here’s what our visitors say:

The entire resort is clean, parking is right outside your cabin, and the dock is within a stone’s throw from your cabin. The view of Lake Huron is amazing and the campground is maintained beautifully. Management takes great care to see that everything is just perfect for each and every guest

Alan & Gail J.

Clarkston, MI

Whalen’s Grindstone Shores is conveniently located for a weekend getaway. I can leave work on Friday and be there in just a couple of hours. I’ve launched my boat, and spent most weekends through spring and summer in a cabin at Whalen’s, for many years now”.

John A.

Rochester, Michigan

We love Whalen’s! It’s like a secret hide-away. The view of the marina reminds us of Europe. The friendliness reminds us of home”.

Wendy and Lenny N.

Huntington Woods, MI

History of Grindstone City

Most Michigan natives are aware of the importance of Grindstone City’s Historic past and its importance in the grindstone industry. Its name is synonymous with the finest of abrasive stone, which was found at no other place in the United States.

In the year 1834, Capt. Aaron G. Peer, with his Schooner, the Rip Van Winkle, was forced to take haven in this natural harbor, during a storm. Capt. Peer is known as the “father” of Grindstone City, and located the first land in what is now Huron County. The sloop took anchorage here in a storm, and that Capt. Peer, his crew and his father came ashore to what was then a wilderness of pine, cedar, ash, beech, and maple, the cedar being so thick that snow remained in places although it was midsummer. In their exploring they found some big flat stone along the beach and on further examination, found evidence that these strata of rock was underlying the area to a lesser or greater extent. Samples were taken to Detroit where they were found superior to the Ohio flagstone which city officials were planning to use to pave some of the streets. He later took some of this rock to Detroit, where it was used to pave a few blocks on Jefferson and Woodward Avenues. This was the first use made of grindstone rock as far as is known. It is interesting to note that the foundations and basements of early brick buildings in Port Huron; including the Harder and the old Johnston-Howard block later known as the Hartstuff Block and which now houses the Barnet Drug Store, were built of these stones. On one trip, the sailors rigged up in a crude fashion a stone slab and used it to sharpen their tools. That year (1838) Capt. Peer, getting the idea from the sailors began shaping the grindstones at the place later known as Grindstone City. The industry was carried on here for a century by Capt. Peer and several other people and companies. Capt. Peer later bought 400 acres of land, on which to produce grindstones. It was operated by Jacob Peer, Capt. Peer’s father. Later Pierce and Smith took over the quarries, and “turned stone” for ten years, until Pierce died and his share reverted to Capt. Peer. They then built the first mill run by water power. Previously the turning had been done by horsepower. In 1888, The Cleveland Stone Company purchased all the properties and quarries around Grindstone City and became sole proprietors of the industry. They were the last company to own and operate the quarries and company store. They had a mill to make whet stones and scythe stones. The stones made here varied in size and weight from small kitchen stones weighing from 2 ½ to 10 lbs. and from 6 to 10 inches in diameter; to the huge grinding stones that weighed over two tons. The largest stone ever turned weighed over 6600 lbs. The memorial stone on the corner of Copeland and Rouse Road, in Grindstone City, is said to weigh 4750 lbs. Grindstone City received its name in 1870. It happened in this way. Mr. James Wallace, one of the owners of the quarry at that time was talking to Mrs. Sam Kinch Sr., when she remarked that the village was growing so fast that it ought to have a name. They were discussing Stonington as a name when Mrs. Kinch suggested Grindstone and Mr. Wallace added City and from then on the village has been known as Grindstone City. LEARN MORE

Contact us

Call us at (989) 738-7664 or complete the form below